Monday 4 April 2011

Pregnant with Twins - the First Trimester

Having never been pregnant before, I have no other experience to compare it too.  I can only tell you my experience of my first trimester.  And it was awful!

I did my pregnancy test the weekend I was due to get my period and it showed up straight away.  Rightly or wrongly, I had had several glasses of wine before I took the test.  Possibly because I JUST KNEW that those two blue lines would show up and that would be the end of alcohol and my addiction to cigarettes right there.

I think you are supposed to wait 3 minutes before you look, but I couldn't wait that long and I didn't have to.  Wham Bam Thank You Mam..  Your Done.  Your Impregnated.

The week after I took the test, the fog started to bear down on me.  I felt tired, emotional and rough.  I had this sick feeling constantly but it wasn't as bad as it would get over the next few weeks.

The only way I can describe it is as if I was living in a fog of sickness. It never went away and I could get no relief.  I would sleep as much as I could and I found it tough to even get up to eat or go for a walk.  Getting motivated to work was really hard, but I persisted because I had to (I was lucky enough to work from home) and I constantly had my head over the toilet.   I got to know that toilet pretty damn well!

I had cravings, but not anything crazy.  I wanted fishfingers, packet mashed potato and tinned spaghetti.  I needed KFC (which I never actually had until the 7th month).  I craved After Eights, which were only sold in England and being in Sydney, I managed to track down an English Lolly Shop in Kings Cross that had only one box left for 20 bucks which I reserved and begged Chris to pick up on his way home from work.

The funny thing about my 'cravings' was that as soon as I had said food, I wouldn't want it anymore.  This resulted in a freezer full of fishfingers and an almost-full box of after eights that sat in the fridge for months.  I think the problem with the chocolate was that I had left it by the bed and then had to deal with the minty-chocolate smell all night so by the time morning came, I couldn't face them.  At all.

There was also the time that I cooked lamb shanks in the slow cooker.  Now, pre-pregnancy, I LOVED lamb shanks.  But being in that apartment all day with THAT smell..  When Chris came home, I just couldn't face them.  We went up the road to get pizza!

The entire first 15 weeks (at least) were hideous.  I don't know how people get up and go to work 5 days a week, having to get public transport and deal with all the hideous smells that cause you to gag constantly.  Chris once got me out of the house after 5 days of 'wallowing' only for me to gag at everything on our 1 hour excursion and collapse onto the bed in exhaustion once we got home.

And then there's the tears.  About everything.  From stubbing my toe (uncontrollable crying) to Chris 'not understanding'.  I spent many days and nights with the covers pulled over my head, tears soaking the pillow and not really understanding why I was crying so hard!!

Whenever I think back to that first trimester, I have nothing but relief that it is over!  If you are reading this and are in the depths of the morning sickness despair, I pity you!  But remember, it soon passes..  Just not quick enough!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home