Sunday 3 April 2011

Finding out you are expecting twins!

My partner Chris and I were sat on our bed the night before our scan joking with his Mother that we might have twins.  Lots of laughter, even from me who wasn't feeling too flash at 6 weeks with morning sickness.  We were lucky enough to have an early scan after I experienced some bleeding and our fantastic doctor referred us, just to be safe.

We were up early and arrived at the clinic with a little anxiety and a lot of excitement.  In my apprehension, I had  continued taking pregnancy tests just to be sure that I was still pregnant and those two little blue lines kept on appearing!

Our ultrasound technician was a bubbly Irish girl who had been in Sydney for a couple of years and as she placed the gel on my belly and started the procedure, I noticed two small bean-like images.  "What are those two things?" I asked.  "Oh,' came the reply.  "It could just be some bleeding.  I'll have to check"

Chris and I continued watching, not really understanding what was going on.

"Well, the first thing I can tell you is that you are having Twins!"

"Shut up!" I exclaimed.

Never in my wildest dreams had I expected to have twins.  Not even when I saw the two little beans on the screen.  Never when I imagined my child (a little girl) a few years from now.  Twins didn't even factor in our family!!

The rest of our appointment continued in a blur.  I know we paid for the scan.  I know we politely said goodbye.  I know Chris and I didn't speak to each other for 5 long minutes after leaving the clinic.  Both in our own little world of terror.  Finally Chris spoke.

"I'm never going to have another day off in 20 years"

For the next hour and a half, we walked around the Westfield Shopping Centre, me dragging him in to every shoe shop for a blissful 5 second distraction.  We rode the escalator up.  We rode the escalator down.  We weren't going anywhere in particular.  We just needed to walk.  And throw in the occasional statement / question:

"What are we going to do?"
"We need a bigger car"
"How did this happen?"
"We need to move"
"We need a bigger house.  Now"
"Oh my God"
"What did we do to deserve this?"
"I'm not going to be able to work at all"
"How are we going to cope?"

The shock remained all day.  The shock continued all week.  All month.  In fact, it didn't really get easier throughout the pregnancy!  I still didn't know how I would cope.  How we would cope..

Only time would tell.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 16 January 2015 at 06:52 , Blogger Amie said...

It's rare to read the truth of the shock expecting parents of multiples go through. You plan on adding on more child, one more large expensive to your life, you visualize one more child fitting into the life of your family. Then bam, shock fills you so quickly. After a couple weeks for me it came and went, but the fear of how to provide for my family that will be one larger than we ever financially planned for scares the crap out of us everyday. The life we have planned and gotten used to for us, our older child, and the life we planned for the next child will all be much different. Not only will our vehicles (one 6 months old) not fit our family any longer, we will not be able to afford childcare, if one of us needs to stay home, that means we will have to leave the wonderful neighborhood we just moved to that fit our family so well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home